31 Jan facebook’s responsibility
Assignment 1 Facebook Live Killings
Read the article Cleveland Shooting Highlights Facebooks Responsibility in Policing Depraved Videos found at: http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/social-media/cleveland-shooting-highlights-facebook-s-responsibility-policing-depraved-videos-n747306
1. Discuss whether or not you believe that Facebook has a legal or ethical duty to rescue a crime victim.
Foundation from reading Chapters 1 and 2 – Jennings, Marianne. (2018). Business: Its Legal, Ethical, and Global Environment (11th ed.). Mason, OH: Cengage Learning.
Discuss the definition of Law.
What is Legal Duty? Provide examples to illustrate your understanding. Rely upon cases presented in chapter reading that helps illustrate and explain concepts.
What is Ethics? Should a company have ethical policies and standards?
Discuss corporate responsibility.
Ultimate answer to question 1. Based on your discussion of the law, does Facebook have a legal or ethical duty or both to rescue a crime victim? Does Facebook have a legal or ethical duty to protect users from violent content, and prevent violent posts and live streams?
Please note: Your answer must be based on the law, not on your feeling, biases or sympathy.
2. Suggest and elaborate on three (3) ways that social media platforms can be more proactive and thorough with their review of the types of content that appear on their sites.
Use research on Social Platforms proactive ways
Identify the proactive way
Explain how it works
Here you can also highlight known cases of social media platforms being proactive in removing violent or inappropriate content from their site.
3. Propose two (2) safeguards that Facebook and other social media platforms should put into place to help prevent acts of violence from being broadcasted.
Suggest how social media platforms can use technology to prevent the broadcasting of acts of violence.
Examine ways to flag inappropriate content.
Discuss ways of discouraging users to broadcast inappropriate content.
Look at hiring and training of a safeguard workforce.
What safeguards does Facebook have in place?
4. Conduct some research to determine whether or not Facebook has an Ethics Officer or Oversight Committee. If so, discuss the key functions of these positions. If not, debate on whether or not they should create these roles.
Clearly state whether Facebook has an Ethics Committee or Oversight Committee that ensures content posted on the site adheres to Facebooks community standards,
Investigate whether Facebook has a workforce that monitors inappropriate content and activities.
How does Facebook organize its workforce to reduce inappropriate content and activities?
If Facebook has an Ethics Officer or Oversight Committee discuss the key functions of these positions?
If Facebook does not have an Ethics Officer or Oversight Committee, should they or shouldn’t they create these roles.
5. Propose two (2) changes Facebook should adopt to encourage ethical use of their platform.
What practice and measures can Facebook use to prevent certain content and encourage ethical use of its media platform.
Examining the use of technology.
Review the use of workforce.
How will these changes work?
Use at least two (5) quality resources in this assignment.
Quality resources are course textbook, published books, academic journal articles, and expert report. Wikipedia is not accepted.
Reference page examples How to cite per SWS
1. Michael Harvey. 2013. The Nuts & Bolts of College Writing. p. 1. http://libdatab.strayer.edu/login?url=http://search. ebscohost.com/login.aspx
2. William R. Stanek. 2010. Storyboarding Techniques chapter in Effective Writing for Business, College and Life. http:// libdatab.strayer.edu/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=nlebk&AN=359141&site=e ds-live&scope=site&ebv=EB&ppid=pp_23 3.
3. Zyad Hicham. 2017. Vocabulary Growth in College-Level Students Narrative Writing. http://libdatab.strayer.edu/ login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=edsdoj&AN=edsdoj.9b7fad40e529462bafe3a936 aaf81420&site=eds-live&scope=site
Do not write an announcement in your paper, for example, In this paper I will discuss whether or not I believe that Facebook has a legal or ethical duty to rescue a crime victim. I will suggest and elaborate on three (3) ways that social media platforms can be more proactive and thorough with their review of the types of content that appear on their sites. This may increase your Safe Assign score.
Do not write the Assignment questions in your paper (Use headings).
Do not restate the facts of the Steve Stephens case in your paper.
Do not write about your personal experiences in your paper. Write about legal cases.